Monday, July 30, 2007

Dylan's 1st Day of Camp

Dylan started Camp Good Grief today. We had to get up at 6 in the morning and leave the house by 7. I had to get him across town to the "bus stop" at a church off Poplar. From there, the kids took a bus (a really nice, big bus) to the camp approx. 45 minutes away. Dylan could not have been more excited! He awoke with a "wo-hoo!"

One of the neatest things was that there is an adult "buddy" for every two kids. This "buddy" is a trained counselor and they stay with their two kids throughout the camp. Dylan's buddy sent him a postcard a couple weeks ago and then he called him this past weekend. He had Dylan so excited. Also, the two children who share a "buddy" are supposed to have alot in common, including the type of loss.

I was so nervous putting my son on that bus! He has never been on a bus and I didn't personally know any of the people I was trusting with his care. However, we met his "buddy" and his new friend this morning before they all got on the bus and I knew all would be OK. After all, this is a once-in-a-lifetime type opportunity for Dylan.

Dylan was so excited when I picked him up. He had a blast at camp. He got to do lots of "cool" stuff and he got watermelon for a snack (his fav!). He got to share about his sister with new friends. When I asked about his new friend (the one who shared a buddy with Dylan), he said he really liked him. The boy (around Dylan's age) lost his little brother. Dylan said "he's really cool because he didn't laugh at me when I cried about Cedie and he cried too about his baby."

I am so grateful he is able to have this experience and this time to be around other kids who "get" his grief.

1 comment:

Crystal M. said...

That is so wonderful Dylan has something like that to help him. His buddy sounds like a wonderful person and I am sure they will become life long friends.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva