Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It started out as a feeling. Chris and I felt our family of 3 just could not be complete. We had a taste of being a family of 4 for such a short period of time. It just felt right, two adults + two kids. Dylan knew the gift of having and loving a sibling and we had two wonderful children to give our love.

We realize we could never replace our Cedie. She will always be our first daughter and Dylan's first sister. However, we could let another child into our lives and into our hearts without betraying her memory.

So, we then started discussing our options. Medically speaking, I can not have anymore children. Fostering a child is out because we could not go through the pain of getting attached and then losing a child again (not that it would be as final as it was with Cedie-but it would still be devastating to us and unfair to Dylan). That leaves us with the idea of adopting. Before we knew what sex Cedie was, we had said that if she were a boy, we would adopt a little girl, so this wasn't exactly an original idea to us.

We started thinking more about the possibility of adoption over the past month or so. Watching Dylan has really solidified this need to expand our family to 4 again in our minds. When he is alone with just us, the house is so quiet and he seems so lonely. But when he is around other children, he just lights up, regardless of whether they are a boy or a girl or whether they are 3 months old or 8 years old.

Chris and I started researching the different kinds of adopting. We know that our ideal would be a little girl between the ages of 2 to 4. We want Dylan to be the big brother and we don't want their age gap to be too vast. We first looked into domestic adoptions but were told by two different types of agencies that it was a long shot to get our "ideal" child. They both said that that age range was just not common in the available children of our area. This led us to the idea of international adoption. We were specifically drawn to the Russian and Ukraine programs. However, the cost factor nearly had us rethinking if this idea was even obtainable for a family like us.

And then Sunday came. It was like God put the thoughts in our head that morning before church. As soon as I saw my mom-in-law, we both simultaneously said "we do mission work in the Ukraine!" After the service we talked to one of the church members who had returned from there. He gave me the name of another man who does the missionary work over there and knows the country well.

Chris and I have both had discussions with him and we now have a clear (and much more affordable) plan! If all goes well, we may have a new member in our family by the end of the year!

There is a lot of paper work and legalities involved. We will also have to start some serious fundraising to make this happen. However, to have our family complete again, as we really believe it was meant to be, would be so worth it! We have talked to Dylan and he is super pumped. He said "then I could have two sisters, one here with me and one watching above me."

So, now you know our new direction. Please pray for our family as we begin this new journey. God knows the plan and will most certainly guide us in the right direction, as we believe He is doing now. Also, if you have any fundraising ideas, we could definitely use your help there as well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i have an idea for fundraising do a benifit or soemthing like cris and eva r doing and do it in honour of cedie

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Chris,
I truly could not be happier to hear this news. While my husband and I are still able to have children biologically, we have always talked of adopting our fourth (and final) child. In my opinion, adoption is the closest way that we can show the type of agape love that God has shown us. By taking a child in as your own and loving that child just the same, you are (as closely as is humanly possible) replicating the relationship that we have as children of God. However, after much research myself, I too have realized the overwhelming costs to adoption. I dont know if you remember way back when, but Ellendale used to have auctions in the gym. They were really a lot of fun. Everyone would bring their 'junk' to the church and we would make a night of it just auctioning everything away. It was like once a year or so, but it was lots of fun and a great time of fellowship. I dont know if you would be able to talk to anyone in the office and see if they would be willing to hold an auction again with the proceeds going towards the adoption costs. Just an idea. I will bathe your hopes in prayer and at the same time, I will continue to think of other fund raising options. May God continue to Bless you and your family as you seek to do his will!

skeybunny said...

I am so excited for your family. I wish you a speedy and successful search for the child to complete your family. I can feel the peace in the words your wrote about your decision. The child you ultimately bring in to your life is going to be so lucky and so loved!

Hugs,
Sarah, Jeremy, and Evan

Crystal M. said...

Ok Dylan has done it again and I have tears in my eyes from his words. I am so happy for all of you and if you need anything let me know. I will continue to pray as I always do for you all.
Hugs,
Crystal and Eva

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

That is so exciting!